1 Corinthians 1:1-17
- Demand Holistic Holiness
- Keep Church Simple
- Move from Organization to Organism
- Pursue Virtuous Living
- Flee Your Vices
- Lust (Peace)
- Gluttony (Moderation)
- Greed (Simplicity)
- Sloth (Strength)
- Wrath (Contentment)
- Envy (Joy)
- Pride (Humility)
- Speak with Clarity Regarding Problematic Issues
POWER 2 Timothy 1:7 for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
PURITY Matthew 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
FAITH Hebrews 11:
1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
3 By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible.
6 And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.
ENDURANCE James 1:2-4 Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing
SELF-CONTROL Proverbs 25:28 A man without self-control is like a city broken into and left without walls.
FORTITUDE Joshua 1:6-9 Be strong and courageous, for you shall cause this people to inherit the land that I swore to their fathers to give them. Only be strong and very courageous… This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it… Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.
Speak with Clarity Regarding Issues
- Gain Biblical Clarity
- Practice Christ-like Leadership
- Maintain the Church’s Prophetic Role in This World
Problematic Issues in Corinth:
- Personality cults, source issues, and division (1,3)
- Give People the Benefit of Doubt (1.1-9)
- Speak the “Same Word” (1.10)
- Grow Beyond Source Issues (1.11-16)
- Build on the Right Foundation (1.17)
- Controlling/authoritarian behavior (4)
- Worldly wisdom/oratory/public speaking (1,2)
- Disrespect of apostles and apostolic teaching (4,9)
- Simultaneous extremes of tolerance and judgmentalism (4,5)